Sunday, 6 January 2013

Start as you mean to continue - Happy 2013 and a warm pea and lentil salad.



This is my rainbow haul from Islington Farmers' Market this morning. Pretty proud, not going to lie. Having pretty much neglected vegetables in favour of expensive cheeses last term (see my cheese tasting extravaganza here) I have decided to rediscover veg and change my approach to buying it (spotting something reduced then letting it fester in the fridge because I didn't really want it before chopping the mouldy bits off and making a dodgy soup because I don't want to waste food). New year, new appreciation of vegetables. I have to say, buying vegetable from a market on a chilly morning is much more inspiring that wrestling someones shopping basket out of the way to get to the spring onions.

I've started this new inspired health drive with Nigel Slater, of course.
Warm Pea and Lentil Salad

175g/6oz lentils, green or brown
175g/6oz shelled peas, fresh or frozen
4tbsp olive oil
fresh chives, snipped into short lengths
juice of 1 lime or lemon
salt and freshly ground pepper


1. Was the lentil in a sieve under running water, place in a saucepan, cover with water, a little salt and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down to simmer and cook for 12 minutes. They should be cooked through but still have bite to them.

2. Tip the peas into a small saucepan with the oil and chives. Cook over a gentle heat for 8-12 minutes, or 5-6 if you are using frozen peas.

3. Drain the lentils and place in a bowl, tip over the hot peas and cooking juices, squeeze the lemon juice over and grind over some salt and pepper.
I added some soft crumbly Rosary goat's cheese to add some creaminess and make it a meal in itself. Was well tasty, innit.

This recipe comes from Nigel Slater's Real Fast Food which I nicked off my Nana. Sorry Nana, I will give it back, I promise. Happy new year, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment