Tuesday, 27 May 2014

Two great apps for my morning mind and body start-up routine.

This post was originally published on Under The Umbrella, the new blog-project that me, my mum, and my sister are hoping to set up as a joint venture and way of keeping up with each other. It's still under construction but go on over and have a look if you're interested.

With my second to last exam on Tuesday, subletting my room and finding somewhere to live in Somerset before the big move, I've been trying to find little bits of time for myself to cool off and concentrate on not concentrating on anything for a few minutes. It seems to me that this is something that we all might benefit from at this stage in our lives so I thought I'd share. The two apps that I have been using are Headspace and Johnson & Johnson's 7 Minute Workout app.

App list

Johnson & Johnson's 7 Minute Workout app
This 7 Minute Workout app is one that I've been using for a while and my favourite out of a bunch that I've tried. I do the workouts to get me going in the morning and so that even if I've spent all day in the library I know that I've at least got a few of my muscles working even for a bit.
What do I like about it?
1. The workouts are as long or as short as you want, and do-able, with a video guy announcing the move and showing you how to do it.
2. Pips counting down the last few seconds of the move.
3. Customisable workouts - you choose from a list of exercises for each muscle group, how long you want the pauses, how many circuits.
4. EVEN I CAN DO IT :)

I originally started these exercises after climbing in Croatia and wanting to improve my strength and fitness, but I'm not really dedicated enough for that, I just need to climb more. Instead, this little workout has proved a good start-up mechanism, especially when coupled with the Headspace app discussed below.

7M home 7M Homescreen

Headspace
Headspace is a meditation app that starts you off with a free ten day program and then, if you like it, invites you to subscribe to daily meditations for a small monthly fee. The meditations are ten minutes long and, although you are guided through them as if you are sat on a chair, I quite enjoy just lying flat on the floor and taking ten minutes out to give my mind and body a break from the hustle and bustle. The past few days I've found it enjoyable to do a short workout in the morning using Johnson & Johnson's 7 Minute Workout app, take a shower, and then use the ten minutes of meditation to ready myself for the day.

Headspace loadingHeadspace homescreen

No comments:

Post a Comment