Tuesday, 14 October 2014

Simple noodle soup and a winter chop

Noodle soup
Yesterday was a transition day. Back in Salisbury for my weird Monday/Tuesday weekend after a hard week in Somerset, it rained and rained and I drifted around the house, watching the onions for the my french onion soup slowly caramalise, grating cheese for the obscene amount of cheese on toast to feed the soggy masses as they came home, and feeling the world get ready for winter. That morning, mum chopped all my hair off and it was a relief to leave behind the damaged locks that I'd had for so long. New shorter hair, and all changes in the future. In my busy winter days I turn to noodle soups to keep me going and this is one I made for mum and I yesterday. Easy peasy, warming and tasty, it can work a little like a pot noodle, but so much better.

For one portion you will need:
- 1 portion of noodles - for pack lunches I use rice noodles which you can pour water over and let sit, no cooking require, but any will do.
- 1/2 beef stock cube
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 or more spring onions, sliced down the middle lengthways and then finely on a diagonal slant

Optional extras that I like to put in are:
- mushrooms, lime leaves, lemongrass, leftover roast chicken, frozen peas, a few slices of chilli.

Method
1. Crumble the stock cube and mix with the fish sauce, soy sauce, and a little water from a boiled kettle to dilute.
2. Put it all in the bottom of a big bowl (or a pan if you are using egg noodles that need boiling) with the sliced onions and any other extras you fancy.
3. Add the noodles to the bowl/pan and cover with the rest of the water from the kettle, leaving to sit for a few minutes or boiling on the hob according to the instructions on the noodle packet.
4. Bam, instant-ish noodle soup.

old hairnew hair

No comments:

Post a Comment